Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Balls



Today I made a pineapple upside down cake for tomorrow's church potluck. I used a store-bought box of pineapple cake mix. I only wanted to make a 9 inch round since I only had one can of pineapple on hand, so I came up with a delicious way to use up the other 1/2 of the cake batter- pineapple cake balls! This is what I threw together and it turned out yummy.
I used:
- 1/2 of a 24 oz package of almond bark. - 12 cooked pineapple cupcakes, or you could use another 8 or 9 inch round baked cake.
- 1 package softened Neufchatel cheese because I like to pretend this dessert is low fat.
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 a stick of softened butter
Crumble the cake while it's warm.  Blend together the butter, neufchatel cheese, and powdered sugar.  Then add the crumbled cake and mix. 

Roll the mixture into 1- 1 1/2 inch balls. Refrigerate them while you prepare the melted almond bark as directed on the package. I prefer to microwave it in a glass bowl. Using a spoon, coat each cake ball with almond bark.

Tap the spoon against the edge of the bowl to let the excess drip off.
Place them on a sheet of waxed paper and refrigerate until solidified.
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment