Monday, April 25, 2011

Monster Gift Card Holder

 
I saw a really cute tutorial here for making a monster gift card holder, and I made a few modifications.  If you want to do the same modifications, here's how.
 
  • Cut out 2 rectangles: both 3.5 inches x 5.5 inches.(front and back)
  • Cut out 2 rectangles: both 3.5 inches x 4.25 inches (mouth)
  • Cut four rectangles: all 3.5 x 1.5  inches (2 arms, 2 legs)
  • Out of felt cut one rectangle: 3.5 x .75 inches and cut teeth out of one of the long sides
  • Out of the felt for the ears cut out 2 pieces that are the shape of the end of your thumb and about 1.75 inches long.
  • You also need a button and some embroidery floss
 In the original tutorial, the monster has no legs, ears, or fabric teeth (they're paper).  To add fabric teeth, sandwich the felt piece between the two right sides of the 3.5 x 4.25 inch fabrics.  Sew along the top.
Then turn it right side out and do some embroidery stitches to top stitch under the teeth.
You use this new mouth piece in place of the one layer piece in the original tutorial. 

To make the ears, fold the thumb-shaped pieces of felt in half longwise, and make a small stitch at the straight end to hold them in ear shape.  

Add them and the legs to the inside of the monster when you stitch the back on, just like you do for the arms in the other tutorial.  I only added one button for an eye, and I made the other eye with the embroidery floss.  I love how he turned out.  I think I shall name him Spartacus.

I think it could also be used for an ipod holder.  So fun!  I don't want to give him away, but he's for a graduation gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment